Can I have more than one medical undertaken at the same time – for instance an ENG1 and HSE diving medical?
Yes. Please email email@example.com with your preferred date from the online available dates. The cost is the more expensive medical plus £30 for the additional medical certificate.
My company have to be invoiced for payment of the medical
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange this in advance.
What if I need to cancel or change the date of my medical?
We will do our best to accommodate changes but if there is less than 48 hours notice, the amount paid is not refundable.
I am running late, can I still attend for my medical?
If you are running 15 minutes late or more we will try and accommodate you, but we may need to ask you to rebook your medical. The original medical appointment would not be refundable.
I have lost my medical certificate. How can I get a duplicate?
Please email email@example.com
What if I fail my medical?
Reasons for this will be discussed with you at the time of the medical, with reference to the appropriate guidelines. Sometimes a person may ‘temporarily’ fail a medical, pending further information which may be required from their GP or Consultant. Any charge from a GP or Consultant for providing this information is the responsibility of the person undergoing the medical.
There is no refund for failed medicals as the medical has still been undertaken.
Do you do other kinds of medicals?
Yes – including the following medicals – British Antarctic Survey, Danish Seafarer, ML5, Oil and Gas UK and Renewables UK. It is also may possible for us to do Seafarer Medicals required by other nations, for instance the Bahamas. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Can you do drug screening?
This is not currently a service that we offer.
Does the cost of the medical include VAT?
No. Medicals currently are exempt from VAT in the UK.
What are your procedures to manage risk of Covid-19?
All staff check their temperature before work and will be wearing PPE. Please do not arrive more than 20 minutes early for your medical and please do not bring anyone with you to your appointment. Your temperature will be checked upon arrival and if you do not have a mask, you will be given one to wear. Equipment and examination areas are cleaned between appointments.
ENG 1 FAQs
What do I need to bring for my ENG1 medical?
- Photo ID – passport, driving licence or discharge book.
- Previous ENG1 certificate.
- If you wear contact lenses, please wear your glasses on the day.
- Avoid loud noise for 16 hours before your medical, as this may affect your hearing test.
- Please bring any information about medication, medical problems or hospital admissions since your last medical.
- Clothes you are comfortable wearing to do a step test as this is sometimes needed as part of medical.
- A dental certificate may be required. It is advisable to see your dentist at least annually.
How long do ENG1 and ML5 medicals last?
- ENG1 medicals can last up to 2 years, regardless of age. Occasionally a shorter medical may be issued for medical reasons.
- ML5 medicals can last a maximum of 5 years, up until age 65 years when the maximum is one year at a time. If an issue is identified during an ML5 medical, it will need to be sent onto the Maritime and Coastguard Agency for further review.
What does an ENG1 medical involve?
You will be asked to complete a questionnaire and provide a urine sample before seeing the nurse who will do your height, weight, blood pressure, hearing and vision tests. You will then see the doctor for a physical examination. Sometimes other tests are needed such as a step test, an ECG or spirometry (breathing test).
Do I need an ENG1 or ML5 medical?
Best check with your employer what they require. Further information can be found at https://www.gov.uk/seafarer-medical-certificates
HSE Diving FAQs
What do I need to bring for my HSE diving medical?
- Photo ID – passport or driving licence.
- Previous HSE medical if it is in-date.
- Clothes you are comfortable wearing to do a step test.
- Letters or background information from your GP or Consultant if you have had a significant medical issue since your last medical. regarding medical issues
This is my first HSE diving medical – what do I need?
Please ask your GP to complete this form and bring it with you.Download Form
How long do HSE diving medicals last?
- One year is the maximum time these medicals can be signed off for.
- A bit like your MOT however, it is possible to book your medical one month in advance of its expiry date and for your new medical to be one year on from the old expiry date, so you do not lose time.
My HSE diving medical has run out – what do I need to do?
The HSE have stated you must get your GP to complete this form and bring it with you. It will not be possible to issue the medical without this. Some GPs charge for this service.Download Form